Monday, August 8, 2011

One Week Left

Only a few more days, and what feels like a month worth of things to do before I leave on my book tour. Nevertheless, this was Otsego County Fair week, and that could not be ignored. Fairs and I go way back. I grew up with them.  I love them. It opened this past Tuesday with harness racing during the afternoon and fireworks at night. Lesley predicted the winners of every race we watched. Too bad we couldn't have had money on them, but betting is not done here. Of course, we had to go around and check out the animal barns and exhibits, and we both agreed that fair week is not for dieting. It's for fair food! My first choice was a sausage and onion sandwich.  Since the fairgrounds are just down the street, we watched the fireworks from our backyard. They were magnificent. Made a couple more trips to the fair during the week after that. I think county fairs are such great reminders, or celebrations, of farming community life. I even love the smells, and miss the sounds of the animals when they are taken home. Now, I'm back to trying to finish up my projects and get packed for my road trip. How about you? Are you a fair-goer? Did you grow up with them, or discover fairs in adult life? I know not everyone is enthusiastic about fairs, but many of us are. What is your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment