Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First Day On The Road

This morning crept out of the rainy darkness with all the signs of a dismal day in the offing. Got up anyway. The paper said it would be sunny. So did the weather forecast on the net. Well, maybe sunny later on. Fifty-fifty shot at sunny later on. Decided to give it a couple of hours before deciding to go or abort for another day. Finally decided to suit up and heade west wtih the belief that I should be able to work my way through the rain and into decent weather. Had to be cautious. I just put new tires on, and they are slippery when new, very slippery when wet. Got on the road just before 11:00 AM.
Turned out to be a good decision. The sky grew lighter the further west I rode, until it was free of clouds altogether by the time I reached New York's western border at Jamestown. Actually the ride was a good one. As I said before, I've hardly been on the bike in quite a while. I was reminded what it feels like when a big truck pushes past and sucks you in toward the side of the truck as you clear the bow wave of wind. I was treated to the wet spray truck tires cast off when they siphon the moisture off a damp road surface and spin it off as they rotate. Soon don't even notice that sort of thing. Makes you wonder if you are compensating at a subconscious level or somthing.
The ride reminded me of my first road trip on a bike. I went from Connecticut to Casanovia, NY to attend a sociology conference. Everything went smoothly until I had to stop for some roadwork and it poured rain. No big problem. I was thrilled that I had almost completed my run.  Throughout the conference, people were impressed that I had ridden there on the motorcycle. They seemed bent on telling me of the horrible accidents they knew of involving a motorcycle. Why do people do that?  They don't tell you of some drowning they heard of when they learn your are going for a swim. Oh well, it's all good.
Put in about 360 miles. Not bad for the first day out, and in consideration of the time I left.
Found a nice motel next to a restaurant with good seafood and Guiness stout. I indulged in a walleye sandwich and fries with malt vinegar. Excellent. Chatted with some other travelers as well. Altogether a good day. Now it's time to give Lesley a call. Love those cellphones.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't tell me the new tires would be slippery and more so when wet!

    ReplyDelete