Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tucumcari

Tucumcari felt like a special destination. It should have. It was the setting for my novel. Seeing it again, everything looked the same, and everything seemed different.
I drove around before getting a motel, in order to check out the places that inspired settings for the story. it was exciting. It was like going back to a place you once lived. It was exciting. I almost wanted to say to people, "I'm back." Of course, no one knew I was there when I wrote the story. The only people I told about my story at the time were a ranching couple, from Switzerland, and they lived outside of town.
I did have someone I could say Hi to, Lisa Lauriault, at the chamber of commerce. I stopped in and talked with her for a few minutes, and then picked out a motel.
I decided to stay at the Blue Swallow, a vintage Route 66 motel that has been refurbished by it's new owners, Kevin and Nancy. They've done a great job with it, too. It's one of those motels with the tiny carports built for cars before the sixty's giants came along. Just right for my motorcycle.
The inside was decorated very tastefully, with pictures appropriate to the era and location. There was even a rotary dial telephone.
I did some shopping, picked up a new bandana at Tucumcari Ranch Supply, where the woman who waited on me had heard about my signing on the radio. She snapped a picture of me to put on the company's facebook page. I was feeling quite the celebrity.
The signing went well. I had fun talking with people who came and bought books. I really got a sense of a community of people who are upbeat and enthusiastic about their town.
When I get back to the motel, I met Bob Saar, another writer, was doing a signing at the chamber the next day. He was on tour with his classic 64 Buick, to promote his book, David's Buick. He had chosen the same motel. It was great meeting up with another writer.
Next morning, it was off to Albuquerque and a radio interview with Travis Parkin, and a signing at Taylor Ranch Library, then a few days off to visit friends in Las Cruces, where I used to live.
Tucumcari was fun, a real highlight. Like a lot of Route 66 towns in today's economy, it's struggling, but it has a core of people who are clearly up to the task. It's like the writing industry...struggling to hang on in the face of change, working to adapt to new opportunities and challenges. Tough times, but it can be exciting. What a ride.

1 comment:

  1. Glenn, so glad you stayed at the Blue Swallow! Nancy and Kevin are good friends of mine :) Sounds as if you're having a wonderful trip!

    --From a fellow SinC Guppy, Janet Koch (aka Laura Alden)

    ReplyDelete