Monday, August 15, 2011

Countdown Over





Today was my scheduled day of departure, but on a motorcycle trip I always like to keep a little slack in the plan. Weather!  Today looked bad. Tomorrow doesn't look great, but it looks better. Besides, one more day with my family. Why not? I hate the thought of not having Lesley and the cats to spend evenings with whilte listening to the gurgling of the Butternut a few yards away.
I've taken a number of cross-country trips by bike, and people would always ask me when I was leaving. At first I tried to explain, it all depends on the weather. Later, I learned to give a date and explain why the weather kept me from meeting that date, if necessary. Similarly, people used to ask me the route I intended. I'd tell them that it depended. Weather again. Maybe some slack for allowing myself to be whimsical?  I like to think of it as being "open".  A ride can be magical, but you have to be open. I'd sometimes pick my final route, and departure, the day I started out. To me, it was all consistent with being open to the adventure and following my best thoughts when it was time for action. I knew I was heading west. I'd know the general plan before departure. I'd let the rest happen.
Tomorrow I expect to leave, weather being tolerable. I'm heading west through up-state New York, then turning south around Cleveland. I intend to head toward Oklahoma City, and pick up Route 66 in Oklahoma. I won't ride the whole route, but I look forward to getting in a few miles on the Mother Road before I get to New Mexico and Arizona, where I have the most engagements. This has been a very different experience that way. I've had to plan a lot of things out in advance. Schedule signings, presentations and interviews. I keep reminding myself that it's a business trip. My gut keeps telling me it's a ride, and I have to leave room to let things happen. I'm sure they will. Happen.
I know there are advantages to planning everything out. How about you? How do you travel, and why do you do it the way you do? Share your adventures in a comment. Especially any along Route 66, even if you live there. I look forward to hearing from you. Meantime, I'm off to promote Murder on Route 66. Talk to you soon...

8 comments:

  1. Safe travels, my friend! I hope you have a boffo bike-book tour .... I'm a seat of my pants driver when I travel. Hate time-tables, always up for exploring a less-traveled road (unless, of course, I MUST be somewhere, and then I'd rather fly. No romance of the open road in flying, for sure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What courage, hope it is a lot of fun and profitable. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A question, since I live in the foothills of the Southern Sierra, curious as to where your foothills were.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck dad I'll be thinking about you. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn, Hope all goes well! What an interesting idea! I live along interstate 65 and State Route 50 in Indiana. Wondering if you're headed this way.

    I'm among the BlueRidgeLitAgency@yahoogroups.com group.

    Best wishes!

    Larry Arrowood

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go, Glenn!! So happy that you're published.. great story...great cover too! It only could've been better if you were on the bike. Sending best wishes for a fantastic book tour and safe travels. Looking forward to seeing you and Lesley this winter in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe travels, and may you find great turnouts (in the road, and at your events). I am finding inspiration and education here because I will be doing a slightly different version when my first novel comes out in early 2013, in a car, family in tow, kids home-schooled, a giant square across the country and back.

    This summer we are doing a pre-pre-book-tour, visiting bookstores, saying hello. We line up the nearest stores each day but not much planning farther out than that. Wherever we wind up at night dictates the next day's stops.

    Anyway, can't wait to hear how this goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great promotion idea, Glenn. It's hot though so keep hydrated and watch out for gravel and bumps!

    ReplyDelete