Friday, August 19, 2011

Third day

Heavy cloud cover. Decided to suit up with rain gear before getting on the road. Took more time that way, I wasn't happy about delays. I wasn't in a great mood, to be honest. That happens sometimes.
I got wet. I tried to be smart and sit the first storm out. It didn't amount to much. I thought Lesley would be pleased. I kept my promise. Next storm got me before I could get off the road. Heavy this time. Oh well... At least I still had my rain gear on. I had been looking for a place to take it off. Then I drove around a curve and there it was, waiting for me. More to grumble about.
I enjoy most of the rode, and I'm never bored. Sometimes I get irked, though. Like the BMW that passed me. The driver was reading a map held against the steering wheel. He pulled in ahead of me and drove on, but before he got out of sight he got rid of some trash by lifting his hand up through the sun roof and letting the breeze take away his little bit whatever. Nice car. Clean looking BMW. Irksome Beemer driver though.
Well, I didn't find everything making me grumble. I stopped to gas up and get a cup of tea. I REALLY felt ready for the tea. The guy behind the register commented on how infrequent it is that Americans get tea. I said I love tea. Turned out he comes from the middle east. He told me he was fasting. One of his (apparently many) local customers came in and teased him about what he had been eating. We talked a bit more. I learned he isn't allowed to have ANYTHING during the day. Not even water. He gets up around four in the morning, works until late at night taking care of his place, is cheerful to everyone, and hasn't had a thing to eat all day. Although, I have to say he looked at my tea pretty longingly.
We didn't talk about religion, or politics, or economics, or world problems. We did share some feeling about tea. It was a very pleasant break from my point of view. And the tea was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment