Sunday, November 24, 2013

Jim's Sauteed Garlic Potatoes i

Malware on my computer and a burst water pipe in ten degree weather has not made my day, but my Android and and some experience at being a handyman just might save the day. It seems like ages since my son Jim and I went camping. I remember it was definitely warmer. I also remember the fabulous garlic potatoes he cooked as part of his share of the cooking. They are sauteed in butter and olive oil rather than being boiled or baked. I really like the resulting texture and flavor. You really should give this a try. These were great over a campfire, and they'll be terrific at home. Even good enough for Thanksgiving! Just cut up a couple of cups of small red potatoes into chunks an inch or so in size. While you're at it, cut up a small onion and peel two or three cloves of garlic. Put a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter in the bottom, of a saucepan and heat over medium temperature with the potatoes, onions and garlic. Add a half teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat to low. Uncover and stir frequently to keep from sticking. Add more butter and olive oil if necessary. The potatoes will saute nicely, and the moisture from the vegetables will help them to steam to perfection. When done, you can add a little cream and mash them, or serve them as is. These potatoes go great with steak, roast beef, salmon or ... Turkey! Oh, by the way. Sourdough bread is an appropriate side here as well. Thanks for visiting my blog. Hopefully I'll have my computer back up and running soon. I did take care of the leak in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment