Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sourdough Waffles Recipe


Sourdough Blueberry Waffles 
 
My last blog post talked about an antique waffle iron that has already become a treasured kitchen implement. It's easy to use, the waffles don't stick, and they come out golden brown every time. How could I not love it? Naturally, I've been making sourdough waffles with it, and I thought I should share the recipe.

Waffles made with sourdough are light and delicate. I think they're much better than those made with conventional recipes. Hope you give them a try.

In keeping with other recipes I've been sharing, this one produces two waffles, just right for one or two people. Of course, I haven't figured out how to make waffles camping across country on my motorcycle while doing a book promotion tour for my mystery novel yet. These will have to be made at home, unless anyone has a suggestion that's suitable for camping.

 

Sourdough Waffles Recipe
(Makes two waffles)

For wet ingredients :
One Egg separated and beaten
Set whites aside and to the beaten yolk add...
1/2 cup thin sourdough
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk (with cream)
2 tablespoons melted butter

For dry ingredients mix...
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Stir into wet ingredients a little at a time
Fold in stiff egg whites
Add 1/2 cup blueberries, strawberries, or other fruit

Bake, serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment